JOB TITTLE : ASTRONAUT
JOB DESCRIPTION :
Astronaut are highly trained scientists, engineers and other qualified professionals who are sent to space to explore the Earth’s atmosphere and beyond with the use of the space shuttle and other technological devices.
3 types of astronauts :
i. Mission specialist
ii. Payload specialist
iii. The pilot/commander
As full time employees of NASA, the salary of an astronaut depends on federal government classifications, personal academic achievement and personal experience. Astronauts generally average between $56,000 and $105,000 annually
1 US dollar = RM 3.16
$56,000 = RM 176,960
$105,000 = RM 331,800
The details of job description & specification every types of astronaut.
COMMANDER/PILOT ASTRONAUT DUTIES ( job description)
Pilot astronaut serves as both space shuttle & International Space Station commander/pilot. During flight, the commander has onboard responsibility for the vehicle, crew, mission success & safety of flight. The pilot assists the commander in controlling & operating the vehicle.
BASIC REQUIREMENT FOR AN ASTRONAUT COMMANDER /PILOT :-
Bachelor’s degree from accredited institution in engineering,biological science, or mathematic. An advanced degree is desirable. Quality of academic preparation is important. At least 1,000 hours pilot-in-command time in jet aircraft. Flight test experience is highly desirable. Ability to pass NASA space physical which is similar to a military /civilian flight physical & include following of standards:
- distant visual acuity
- blood pressure : 140/90 measured in sitting position
- Height between 62 & 75 inches
MISSION SPECIALIST ( job description)
Mission specialist astronauts work with the commander & the pilot & have overall responsibility for coordinates operation in the following area : system, crew activity planning, consumables usage & experiments/ payload operation.
BASIC REQUIREMENT : (job specification)
Bachelor’s degree from accredited institution in engineering, biological science, physical science or mathematics. Degree must be followed by at least 3 years of related, progressively responsible, professionals’ experience. An advance degree is desirable & may be substituted for part or all of the experience requirements
( master’s degree = 1 year of experience, doctoral degree= 3 years of experience). Quality of academic preparation is important.
Ability to pass a NASA space physical, which is similar to a military/civilian flight physical & includes the following specific standards :
- Distance visual acuity: 20/200 or better uncorrected
- Blood pressure: 140/90 measured in a sitting position
- Height between 58.5 & 76 inches
- Applicant will be evaluated by an astronaut rating panel based on the academic & work experience qualification requirements stated in this announcement. Eligible candidates will be placed in qualified & highly-qualified categories. Highly-qualified applicants will be evaluated by an astronaut selection board based on the academic & work experience qualification requirement & suitable inquiries. Best qualified applicants will be interviewed. The finalist will be referred to the appropriate official who will recommend selections.
source : NASA